Protect your teeth from further damage with dental crowns
Visit us for high quality dental crowns near Keysborough!
Dental crowns are a wonderful restorative and cosmetic procedure to restore the shape, size, strength and appearance of severely decayed, chipped, broken, damaged or missing teeth. If you are at risk of losing your tooth due to an accident or injury, or even a huge cavity, a dental crown can help you save your tooth and even restore its functionality. Sometimes, a crown is also used in cosmetic dentistry to cover a badly discoloured tooth to maintain a beautiful smile.
What is a dental crown?
In simple words, a dental crown is just like a tooth-shaped ‘cap’ which is customized for you and fitted over your tooth. They can be made of different types of materials – porcelain, ceramic or metal. Porcelain and ceramic crowns are preferred as the colour can be matched to that of your natural teeth. Once these are cemented into place, they cover the entire visible part of the tooth above the gum line.
When are dental crowns used?
- To protect worn out and damaged teeth, including those that have undergone root canal. Teeth can be damaged by poor dental hygiene and bruxism as well, and crowns can help prevent further decay.
- To provide strength and support for teeth which have large fillings and very little portion of the original tooth structure left.
- To restore a broken or cracked tooth and hold it in place.
- To cover oddly shaped or extremely discoloured teeth, for aesthetic purposes.
- To replace missing teeth, crowns will need to be supported by dental implants.
- To hold and support dental bridges, which are made of multiple crowns.
The procedure for placing dental crowns at our clinic
Dental crowns require the foundation of an existing tooth structure or an implant, over which they will be capped. For patients who require a dental crown, our dentists will first need to prepare the tooth in a way that is suitable for crown placement. In cases where the remaining tooth is inadequate to support the crown, we will need to build a foundation.
We will take an impression of your existing teeth along with a mould of the foundation tooth, and send these to our laboratory for preparing your customized crown. This will ensure that the crown fits in perfectly with your current teeth and fulfils the functions of chewing, clear speech and overall dental health.
J.E. Dental is committed to providing the best quality dental care and support to maintain optimum oral health. We see young and old patients from surrounding areas like Braeside, Dingley Village, Noble Park and Springvale. If you are looking for a reliable family dentist for dental crowns near Keysborough, come by for a consultation.